Search and Selection on the SCIS Catalogue
This webinar provides an overview of how SCIS can assist to provide a more effective library service to the school community. The following will be covered:
- Components of a SCIS record, including descriptive fields and authority-controlled fields (subject and author headings)
- How the SCIS Catalogue can be used to select educationally relevant and age-appropriate resources
- Strategies for building a search, sorting and limiting search results, and selecting, emailing and printing records from the SCIS catalogue
- How to find known items in the SCIS catalogue,including searching for books, DVDs, websites, and e-Books
- How to use SCIS enriched content (Syndetics, LibraryThing for Libraries, and Google Books) to select and evaluate resources
- Using SCIS subject authorities to identify preferred terms, and broader, narrower and related topics
- Using SCIS name authorities to redirect a search from non-preferred names to authorised names
Cancellation policy: Submission of the online booking form is considered a firm registration. Other Terms and Conditions can be found here.
About the Instructors
Dr Ben Chadwick
Ben has worked for SCIS since 2012, and has a professional interest in linked-data and vocabulary management. Ben has a PhD in Psychology and a Masters in Information Management.
Director of Library Services, SCIS
Rachel has worked for SCIS since 2012, and has a professional interest in content curation and advocacy. Rachel has a Bachelors of Arts degree and is currently studying a Masters in Business Administration.